Get your free Alberta Auto Insurance quote from Leibel Insurance Group. For great coverage at competitive rates, submit an online quote request or call 780-484-8880
Alberta’s Best Auto Insurance Provider
- Auto Insurance quotes tailored to your needs
- Over 30 years experience
- Qualified and respected brokers
Driving in Alberta presents its own unique set of challenges, you need insurance that is suited for the environment.
Auto insurance in Alberta is an important consideration and it can be a major expense. You are legally required to have certain types of insurance, but at the same time there are options that can affect your premiums and coverage.
Leibel Insurance brokers work to find the insurance coverage options that protect your lifestyle and family. The end result is a policy that helps you and your family feel safe, secure, and protected.
To contact us for a car insurance quote in Edmonton, Calgary, or surrounding areas in Alberta, fill out the free quote request form above or call our office today!
Frequently Asked Questions about Auto Insurance in Alberta
Here are some commonly asked questions and answers, concerning insurance for your motor vehicle in Alberta.
Q. What is Car Insurance?
A. When you insure your vehicle, you are covering your financial and personal risk factors. For example, if anything happens to your car, you’ll want to make the necessary repairs (or replacement) with minimal out of pocket costs. In addition, you must be sure that all your legal liabilities will be paid. Car insurance helps cover the costs of injuries to yourself and others. This is why you should have an automobile policy on every vehicle you own.
Q. Who needs Automobile Insurance?
A. In Alberta, every vehicle owner must have insurance. This is the law. Types of vehicles to insure are cars, trucks, SUVs, recreational vehicles, and motorcycles.
Q. Is there mandatory Auto Insurance in Alberta?
A. Alberta drivers must have certain coverage items on their insurance policies.
- 3rd party liability insurance – suppose you are at fault in a traffic accident. You could be responsible for damage to other vehicles and injury claims for people in the other car. Liability coverage is there to pay for these expenses, and in Alberta you must carry at least $200,000 in coverage. Insurance companies have standard Liability coverage set to $1,000,000 and many recommend increasing your Liability to $2,000,000 as costs with claims have increased.
- Accident benefits – this pays for expenses related to auto accidents, like income loss, medical bills, physical therapy, death and funeral expenses.
Q. What things can affect my Vehicle Insurance premiums?
A. Several factors influence how much you pay for insurance, such as:
- Driving record – multiple accidents or tickets on your record can raise your rates considerably.
- Driving experience – young people under 25 are the highest risk group, so their premiums are higher, especially teenagers.
- Coverage options – full coverage is more expensive, but covers more things.
- Bad credit – you could be penalized for having poor credit rating.
- Driving distance – shorter driving distance means lower premiums.
- Number of vehicles you own.
- Who you have your Homeowners Insurance with, combining policies can save money.
- Deductible amounts.
- Available discounts.
Q. What Automobile Insurance options do I have?
A. Your options depend on your situation. However, here are some of the available options:
- Collision – pays for your vehicle damage when you are the driver at fault.
- Uninsured motorists – suppose someone hits your car and they have no, or too little insurance. This options covers that gap and also covers hit and run incidents.
- Comprehensive – covers non-auto accident damages like hail, wind, storms, fire, vandalism, and theft.
- Deductibles – raising or lowering your deductible is an option. Higher deductibles lower premiums but at the same time, increase your financial risks.
- Additional liability protection – you can raise your liability limits, and this is a good idea. In fact, with the high cost of accidents, many people are taking out one million dollars in coverage, to be safe.
Q. I own an older car that I owe no money on. Should I drop all Auto Insurance coverage except mandatory insurance, to save money?
A. Leibel Insurance Group does not recommend this as an effective strategy for lowering your premiums. For example, for a car worth only a thousand dollars, you are better off with only liability and medical benefits insurance coverage. However, comprehensive insurance is inexpensive and will pay for many types of damages, rather than having to pay out of pocket. Here is an example:
Jason R had an older car he drove back and forth to work. The car was worth about $2500, and to save money he dropped all coverage options he could. This worked out fine for six months, until a very large tree limb fell on his car during a wind storm. The car was demolished and if Jason had carried comprehensive insurance, he would have received the value of his vehicle in a settlement. With no coverage, Jason was a complete loss, and had lost the value of his vehicle.
Q. What should I do if I am involved in a traffic accident?
A. According to Alberta law, here are your requirements:
- Stay at the scene of the accident
- Render assistance or aid if possible
- Record and provide driver information:
- Name and address
- Drivers license
- Vehicle owner info
- License plate number
- Proof of insurance
Q. Should I use an Insurance Broker for my Car Insurance?
A. Brokers are independent agents who deal with a number of top insurance companies in Alberta. They can shop policies on your behalf and find you the lowest possible rates and the best coverage options.
Q. Where are the best independent agencies for Automobile Insurance?
A. Leibel Insurance Group is a trusted and respected independent insurance agency. We have been serving Alberta residents for over 30 years and offer a wide range of personal lines insurance for your needs. Our commercial and personal insurance brokers offer custom-tailored insurance and have access to a number of insurance markets.
Leibel Insurance Group offers flexible communications options. We can be reached by email, phone (780-484-8880), fax, online. Leibel Insurance now has two locations to better serve our clients. Visit us in Edmonton at #102, 17415 – 102 Ave, or in Calgary at #101, 2816 11 Street NE.
To contact us for a Car Insurance quote, fill out the free quote request form above or call our office today!
Call Us at (780) 484-8880
We have been a customer of Leibel Insurance Group for over 4 years and are very pleased with the prompt and complete service provided.Our industry has gone throughout many risk challenges, with an ever-growing need for a variety of different insurance policies. They have been responsive to all.I am with them for the long term and would highly recommend them to any business owner.